Taking care of your teeth is always a great idea, especially if you have a history of tooth decay or gum disease. If this is the case, the best thing to do is visit Dr. Pelaez, DMD at Dentistry of Virginia Beach. Don’t continue to live with the pain and sensitivity of decay or the irritation of gum disease, call to schedule your appointment today.
Here we outline the steps to restoring a typical area of decay, to ease any fears or nerves you may have:
- First, we will use a local anesthetic on the area surrounding the tooth.
- Next, we will remove the decayed material and clean the area thoroughly of all bacteria.
- The filling will lastly be layered into the cleaned out area to seal and recreate the original shape.
There are a few different materials with which “cavities” can be filled:
- Gold – Durable but not used much anymore for direct fillings.
- Silver (amalgam) – Durable and still a commonly used material. It’s not tooth colored.
Composites – Tooth-colored and bond directly to the tooth. Need to be placed in a very dry environment without saliva or other fluid contamination.
- Ceramics – Durable material. Cemented indirectly into a tooth.
- Glass Ionomer – Less durable and used for most commonly for non-chewing surfaces.
After your tooth has been filled, there are some specific steps you can take to preserve your filling:
- Brushing and flossing
- Regular professional cleanings
- Regular check-ups to monitor the filling
If you’ve been experiencing pain or sensitivity in your teeth, and think you may have a cavity, contact Dentistry of Virginia Beach today.